The perfect cure for the chill — and all those holiday indulgences! This delicious, hearty soup is chock full of vitamins, antioxidants, fiber, and protein. It’s super versatile, as well — feel free to experiment by leaving out anything you may not have on hand, or adding other ingredients, like lentils, other veggies, brown rice, and different herbs.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup green beans (snap in half if they’re long)
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup squash, cut in bit-sized pieces
- 1 bag of baby spinach, or frozen, chopped spinach
- 2 cans stewed, sliced, seasoned tomatoes
- 1 can Cannellini beans
- 1.5-2 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you like your soup)
- Seasoned or sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper and red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning blend
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
Spray a large pot with cooking spray, then heat olive oil in it over high heat. Add chicken, and stir fry for 10 minutes. Add onion, garlic, celery, and carrots, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the squash and green beans, cook for 5 more minutes. Stir in zucchini, tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, dry seasoning blend, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 25 minutes.
Stir in the beans and the spinach, heat through until spinach is wilted. Add the fresh herbs, and turn off heat. Discard the bay leaf and garnish with more fresh herbs when serving. Enjoy!
Makes 8 servings, and tastes great reheated!
Fat: 2.5 g
Carbs: 15 g (lots of these are fiber!)